Josh and I were MARIO TENNIS for halloween! I love tennis apparel in general, so this was also the perfect excuse to wear a tennis skirt!
The costumes were fairly simple to make, the only thing I could not find was a pink tennis dress. I literally looked everywhere!
It was pretty frustrating because the pink tennis dress is basically 90% of Princess Peach’s entire outfit!!! But half the fun of creating a DIY costume is putting your own twist on it to create your own version. So I made some modifications based on the materials I was able to find and tried to make it work without compromising the look!
Here’s some of the stuff we bought and how we put it together:
- Red Polo shirt
- White running shorts. I made the blue stripes on the sides by gluing strips of ribbon
- A red visor, which I purchased on Amazon for only $5.91! You can find it here. I also glued an “M” iron on patch to the front.
- Pack of fake mustaches also from Amazon, which you can find here
- A plain pink T-shirt from Michael’s
- A white pleated tennis skirt which I layered with another pink skirt on top. I also glued white ribbon to the pleats of the pink skirt.
- Princess peach accessories which I purchased on Amazon (Linked here) It came with white satin gloves, a stick-on amulet and a plastic crown headband. The crown was kind of heavy and the headband was a little small but it wasn’t too bad, I just couldn’t shake my head around too vigorously haha. If I could do it over again and I had more time I would have probably made a custom crown out of felt or cardboard.
- A blonde wig, which I found at a local costume shop.
For our tennis rackets I purchased a pair of Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Controllers on Amazon for $12.99 (Linked here). I didn’t want to carry around actual full size tennis rackets all night and these had a cute little strap! So convenient!
I also painted my racket pink!
All in all I think it turned out pretty well! Or… close enough 😂